Graduation from Master’s Programs
If you have successfully completed all modules of your curriculum and your thesis, you can apply to complete your Master's degree.
Diese Seite in Deutsch.
1. Register Your Thesis Subject and Supervisor
Once you and your supervisior agreed on the subject of your thesis, compose an abstract structured as follows:
- problem statemtent
- expected result
- state of the art (inkl. mindestens vier Literaturreferenzen including at least four references to literature)
- context with your Master’s program (example).
Send the abstract to your supervisor, who registers the thesis subject via TISS and informs the Dean of Studies. (Exception: Students in “Lehramtsstudium” instead use the form F-853).
2. Compose Your Master’s Thesis
For the formal properties of theses there are guidelines and specifications, which ensure a uniform and scientifically consistent appearance. As the author of a diploma thesis you are obliged to comply with these requirements.
- Cover Page: Please use our template exclusively and do not change the formatting. You only need to enter the parameter “Participation” if an assistant was involved in the supervision. The academic degree is “Diplomingenieur” or “Diplomingenieurin“. If you complete the ”Lehramtsstudium“, you will receive the academic degree “Magister der Naturwissenschaften” or “Magistra der Naturwissenschaften”. The German language cover page is the first page of the Master’s thesis. If you would like to additionally include an English version, please add it as the second page. Please note that also in the English language version the academic degree must be given in German only.
- Statement: “I hereby declare that I have written this work independently, have given full details of the sources and aids used, and have marked places in the work—including tables, maps and illustrations—which are taken from other works or from the Internet, either verbatim or in spirit, as borrowed, in any case indicating the source.” Place, date, signature.
- Abstract: Write your abstract in German and English in a length of half a page to a full page and present the following aspects briefly and concisely: the context of the work/task, the research question, the scientific method(s)/procedure(s) used and the central results.
- Table of Contents
- Main Part: In the main part of the thesis you explain the context of the work, the task and the state of the art or research. You formulate the research question of the thesis and explain the scientific methods used to obtain the results. Finally, you will present the central results of your research work.
- Bibliography: List the literature you used completely and correctly and in a consistent presentation.
Notes on Quotations
- Make sure that the sources are correct and complete.
- Quotations must not be too long (not longer than 1⁄2 page).
- It must be clearly recognizable which parts of the text are quotations (e.g. quotation marks).
- Words, spelling and punctuation must be taken from the original.
- Where possible, quotations should be made from original texts. (Foreign language texts should should be cited in the original language if possible).
- There must be a usefulness for the use of the citation.
Notes on Gender-Inclusive Language
Either explicitly use the female and male form or gender-neutral designations and refrain from using general clauses in which, for example, it is stated at the beginning, end or in footnotes of a text that the chosen personal designations apply to both genders.
3. Compose Your Thesis Poster
The thesis poster is an obligatory part of your diploma examination (or the seminar for diploma students or the final examination by the commission). The thesis poster should be visually and textually addressed to any given viewer and introduce him/her to the essential aspects of your thesis.
- DIN A0 (edge margin 12.7 mm)
- file format: Standard PDF without embedded exotic resources*
- resolution: 300 dpi
- file size: max. 5 MB
- no metatext, no crop marks
* Please note that a non-compliant PDF will be rejected and will delay the award of certificates until a valid version has been submitted.
- Styles for paragraphs, objects, frames etc. of the header must not be modified.
- context of the work or the task
- problem statement/research question
- scientific method/procedure
- main outcomes
- clear structure (using bullet points, etc.)
- use optically separated sections
- use of descriptive pictures, graphics and tables
- avoid too much text
- concentration on the essentials
- avoid background information
4. Apply for Approval of the Examination Board
Approximately four weeks before you apply for your degree, you must have the examination board for the defense approved (F-424). Please consider in your proposal that the examiners do not work in the same research unit. Send the form in via E-Mail or bring it to our office.
5. Apply for Graduation
After your examination board has been approved, you can announce the completion of your studies at any time conveniently and easily online via TISS. Arrange all courses to the corresponding modules (if necessary taking into account the respective transitional provisions). In TISS you also have the possibility to register for the graduation ceremony. Next upload your Master’s thesis and the thesis poster here. Note: Please wait for the result ofthe formal review of your poster (max. two weeks). Send your poster to print only after you have received a confirmation of clearence via email from us. Have it then signed by the supervisor and, together with the remaining documents, bring it to our office.
- F-464 Application for Defense
- F-945 Consent for Plagiarism Check
- F-975 Leaflet for Authors of a Thesis
- UStat2 Confirmation
- Birth certificate
- Proof of citizenship
- Marriage certificate/change of name certificate (if applicable)
- Bachelor’s certificate or certificate of undergraduate program
- Certificates of other academic degrees (if applicable)
- Record of studies
- Notifications of admission, recognition of exams, etc. (if applicable)
- One hardcover copy of the thesis
- Thesis Poster, approved and signed by your supervisor
- exam grades that couldn’t be assigned to a distinct module (Note: All certificates and records of exams that cannot be verified online, must be sealed and signed by the respective university).
6. Apply for Defense
A defense usually takes one hour. Schedule your presentation for 20 minutes. The defense serves to present and defend your Master’s thesis, and to prove your ability to master the scientific methods and principles, including the understanding and overview of knowledge. It is therefore not necessary to agree on examination areas with the individual examiners in advance.
7. Pick Up Your Certificate
After three weeks—or as soon as you have received a corresponding e-mail from us—you can pick up your diploma certificate and related documents at our office during opening hours. Please bring an official photo identification.
8. Graduation Ceremony
If you have registered your participation at the graduation ceremony, you will receive an invitation by physical mail about three weeks before the event. If you have not received an invitation, please contact us immediately.