BSc Medical Informatics
The bachelor program Medical Informatics gives you an eclectic mix of key technologies, technical procedures and medical fundamentals. If you choose this program, you will receive the best possible knowledge and skill set to improve the health or social services with technical solutions.
What to expect?
The bachelor degree in Medical Informatics combines the integration of key technologies and technical procedures in areas such as life sciences, software and requirements engineering, visualization and usability, IT planning and operation, data protection and process engineering with training in medical fundamentals. The unique selling proposition of this study lies not only in numerous relevant R & D topics in different areas of medical informatics, but above all in the sustained and continuing global demand of the health sector for IT integration of the entire domain as well as the need for information technology innovation of the various subsystems.
The study provides you with a high level of computer science, medical, software engineering, mathematical and formal fundamentals. In addition, you will receive an interdisciplinary basic education that includes knowledge and skills in clinical thinking such as diagnostic processes and documentation.
Why all this?
With a degree in Medical Informatics you will find numerous fields of activity in the healthcare sector, such as the construction and management of IT systems. You will be capable of developing and analyzing health, information and communication systems or medical software in healthcare companies and relevant public institutions. You’ll play a key role in the design, development and evaluation of systems as well as a mediating role between the technical and medical sectors. You can also use your acquired knowledge to help improve and develop clinical processes or engage in medical information research.
The program teaches you basic knowledge in the field of computer science and a critical understanding of their theories and principles as well as generally profound knowledge of basic and methodological knowledge in algorithms and data structures, architecture of computer and software systems, mathematics, probability theory, statistics, human-machine interaction and programming paradigms.
Building on these core competences of computer science, you acquire knowledge and skills in areas such as bioelectric signal processing, medical fundamentals, life sciences, security and law. You learn how to handle and/or apply health telematics, technology integration, quality management, interaction design, privacy and security.
You will develop important professional and personal skills that will boost your creativity and innovation potential to identify, analyze and solve complex problems. These skills enable you to master challenges in a critical, team-based and responsible manner. You strengthen your interdisciplinary and system-oriented way of thinking and learn to apply tools to design and implementation strategies.
You are deeply immersed in a rich environment full of exciting ideas and interesting challenges that foster your talents and provide new experiences:
- Join our Bachelor with Honors program! Our excellence program enables you to prove your potential in individually designed challenges, nurture your talents, and engage you in scientific research.
- Participate in our student mobility programs! International exchange is in our DNA. Meet students, researchers, and lecturers from all over the world, participate in Erasmus, and join our double degree programs during your Masters.
- Come for the Bachelor; stay for the Master and Doctorate! A bachelor’s degree is the ideal preparation for one of our Master programs and a doctorate at the TU Wien Informatics Doctoral School. And we are always looking for excellent candidates for open positions in the scientific field.
- Get to know the people and research! We are proud of the distinguished scholars and researchers who make up our diverse faculty. Find out who they are, what projects our research units are working on, and stay in touch through our newsroom and social media channels.
- Enjoy Vienna! Our campus is located directly in the heart of Vienna. Besides Vienna ranking as the city with the highest quality of life and TU Wien Informatics in the Global Top 15% in Computer Science, there are numerous more reasons why you should study with us.
You’re more than just a number when you study with us. Be part of TU Wien Informatics!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any access restrictions?
Which program is right for me?
I’m new, where can I get oriented?
I want to begin one of the expiring curricula in the summer term of 2023. Is it possible to still graduate?
I am studying in an expiring bachelor’s program. How can I switch to the new Bachelor of Informatics?
I have switched from an expiring bachelor’s program to the new Bachelor of Informatics. Do I need to credit courses I have already taken?
Courses that are continued in the new Bachelor of Informatics do not have to be credited – this will happen automatically.
Courses that are DISCONTINUED in the new Bachelor of Informatics must be credited within two semesters of starting the new program. Fill in the relevant form and bring it together with the official signed transcripts to our TU Wien Informatics Study Services. As soon as the decision about your application has been received, you will be notified.