Bachelor with Honors
Our excellence program enables you to prove your potential in individually designed challenges, nurture your talents, and engage you in scientific research.
On This Page
Challenge Your Talents
Designed as a one-year extension of our regular bachelor programs and comparable to the Anglo-American model, this excellence program is an additional offer to undergraduates in all our bachelor programs. As a qualified student, you will receive opportunities that challenge your talents and bring out your full potential. You will also broaden and deepen your professional knowledge and personal skills. Individual mentoring, paired with an interdisciplinary, flexible approach, and distinct and exclusively performance-based rules are the cornerstones of the program. Admission and graduation depend solely on performance.
A Program Tailor-Made For Your Talents
Together with your mentor you compose your Bachelor with Honors program according to your personal interests and talents. It is composed of a wide variety of topics and courses, including:
- Research-related mandatory bachelor-level courses in any discipline offered by universities
- Informatics-related master-level courses offered by universities
- Specific courses and internships for Bachelor with Honors
Note: Your individually designed program needs to be approved by the Deans of Academic Affairs.
Your Excellence. Certified.
As a successful graduate you receive a certificate signed by the Rector, the Vice Rector for Academic Affairs, the Dean and the Dean of Academic Affairs, which acknowledges the completion of the Bachelor with Honors program and details your individual study program. Moreover, in a personal letter of recommendation the Rector highlights your distinguished achievements and, for having met all requirements for graduation, accepts you into the Top 5% of students at TU Wien.
Seize International Opportunities
We want to introduce our Bachelor with Honors students to the international scientific community and industry. To achieve this, we are working together with a select group of renowned and excellent research institutions and international industry-leading companies to offer you research-related internships:
ENS Paris-Saclay (France): LSV Internship Projects for TU Wien Bachelor with Honors
ETH Zürich (Switzerland): Student Summer Research Fellowship Programme
Purdue University (USA): GoBoiler Internship Program 2020 / Application deadline: April 1, notification: May 1
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (USA): UIUC-TU Wien Research Internship Program 2020 / Application deadline: March 15, notification: May 15 / Contact Ulrich Schmid for the password of the application site
At Research Institutions
Max Planck Institut Informatik (Germany) — Application deadline for us is actually December 1, 2022 (not, as advertised in the webpage, November 1). Make sure that you answer the entry “Have you already spoken to any MPI faculty about the application? (optional)” in the application form with “BHonors TU Wien”. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need further information.
Infineon Technologies AG (Austria)
- Choose an internship from the list above, check details and feasibility with the respective contact person (with or without involving the mentor here), and finally apply.
- If successful, please inform your mentor about your internship project. You need to provide the names of the institution and your external supervisor, and a short project description.
- After finishing the internship project, you need to deliver a final project report (also signed by the supervisor) to your mentor. In addition, external supervisors need to provide the mentor with a short performance report, which shall confirm the effort of 6 ECTS (=150 hours working time) and also include a proposed grade.
- The accreditation for PR "Bachelor with Honors Internship-Projekte" (6 ECTS) will be issued by the Dean of Academic Affairs upon request of the mentor (who needs to submit the final grade and a short justification, along with the final project report and the performance report).
As a Bachelor with Honors student you can apply for special scholarships, according to the following conditions and application requirements:
From Research Funding
WWTF (Vienna Science and Technology Fund / Wiener Wissenschafts-, Forschungs- und Technologiefonds)
FWF (Austrian Science Fund / Wissenschaftsfonds)
For scholarships in the context of FWF or WWTF projects you need to identify a relevant research project, and contact the project leader.
From The Industry
Infineon Technologies AG (Austria)
TU Wien Informatics offers scholarships for Bachelor with Honors students going abroad for an internship project. / Contact: Ulrich Schmid