MSc Media and Human-Centered Computing
In the English-language master program Media and Human-Centered Computing, we combine the theory and practice of Human Computer Interaction with the teaching of comprehensive theoretical, methodological, technical and practical knowledge as well as skills for the design, implementation and/or evaluation of complex interactive systems.
- Duration: 4 Semesters
- ECTS Worth: 120
- Degree: Dipl.-Ing. (i.e., MSc)
- Language: English
- Curriculum: PDF / Courses
Diese Seite in Deutsch.
What are the contents of the program?
In addition to the basics such as Theories of Media, Perception, Interaction and Visualization or methods of user research, you will focus on interactive media such as Digital Games and Art as well as Sound and Music Computing. Explorative Design, Design Thinking and Applied Assistive Technologies are the focus of Interaction Design, while Vision and Visualization explores image analytics and synthesis in areas such as 3D film, video and TV.
You will be confronted with psychological questions as well as with ethical ones: You will understand the concepts in research ethics, plan studies from an ethical perspective and learn about different regulatory ethics and legal frameworks, and code of conducts.
Which qualifications do I acquire?
The master program Media and Human-Centered Computing teaches in-depth, scientifically and methodically high-quality education geared to lasting knowledge.
You understand design both theoretically and practically in the context of interactive systems and can scientifically deal with the interaction between humans and machines. You are capable of not only designing but also implementing special computer and sensor systems. Design theory, thinking and practice are interpreted in a sustainable way and consider social, cognitive and cultural aspects in the design of interactive systems.
You learn to develop and apply formal foundations and methods for modeling, finding solutions and evaluating, to select, apply and extend qualitative, participative and selected social science methods. You approach problems in a complex, interdisciplinary, methodological and system-oriented way, and you can fall back on a broad selection of design and implementation strategies.
During the course of your studies, you also train additional skills required for your profession and promote your creativity and innovation potential.
What can I do with my degree?
As a graduate of this degree program, you are internationally competitive for further qualification in the context of a relevant doctoral program, but also for your work in business.
Possible fields of your activities are scientific and industrial research (e.g., HCI, Augmented Reality), Interaction Design, Interactive Media Design or Media Art, the design of application-oriented (industrial) multimedia systems and the implementation of Usability studies and evaluations. Central applications of Media and Human-Centered Computing include e-learning, medical applications, game design, universal access, advertising, visual analytics / information visualization. However, the Media and Human-Centered Computing is not limited to these areas, but is increasingly used in the industrial environment.
You are deeply immersed in a rich environment full of exciting ideas and interesting challenges that foster your talents and provide new experiences:
- Participate in our student mobility programs! International exchange is in our DNA. Meet students, researchers, and lecturers from all over the world, participate in Erasmus, and join our double degree programs during your Masters.
- Come for the Master; stay for the Doctorate! A master’s degree is the ideal preparation for a doctorate at the TU Wien Informatics Doctoral School. And we are always looking for excellent candidates for open positions in the scientific field.
- Get to know the people and research! We are proud of the distinguished scholars and researchers who make up our diverse faculty. Find out who they are, what projects our research units are working on, and stay in touch through our newsroom and social media channels.
- Enjoy Vienna! Our campus is located directly in the heart of Vienna. Besides Vienna ranking as the city with the highest quality of life and TU Wien Informatics in the Global Top 15% in Computer Science, there are numerous more reasons why you should study with us.
You’re more than just a number when you study with us. Be part of TU Wien Informatics!