Bachelor with Honors
With our excellence program, we enable you to prove your potential in individually designed challenges, nurture your talents, and engage you in scientific research.
Challenge Your Talents
Designed as a one-year extension of our regular Bachelor’s degree programs and comparable to the Anglo-American model, this excellence program is an additional offer to undergraduates in all our Bachelor’s programs. As a qualified student, you will receive opportunities that challenge your talents and bring out your full potential. You will also broaden and deepen your professional knowledge and personal skills. Individual mentoring, paired with an interdisciplinary, flexible approach, and distinct and exclusively performance-based rules are the conerstones of the program. Admission and graduation depend solely on performance.
A Program Tailor-Made For Your Talents
Together with your mentor you compose your Bachelor with Honors program according to your personal interests and talents. It can be composed of a wide variety of topics and courses, including (note: your individually designed program needs to be approved by the Deans of Academic Affairs):
- Research-related mandatory Bachelor-level courses in any discipline offered by universities
- Informatics-related Master-level courses offered by universities
- Specific courses and internships for Bachelor with Honors
Your Excellence. Certified.
As a successful graduate you receive a certificate signed by the Rector, the Vice Rector for Academic Affairs, the Dean and the Dean of Academic Affairs, which acknowledges the completion of the Bachelor with Honors program and details your individual study program. Moreover, in a personal letter of recommendation the Rector highlights your distinguished achievements and, for having met all requirements for graduation, accepts you into the Top 5% of students at TU Wien.
Research and Industry Internships
Seize International Opportunities
We want to introduce our Bachelor with Honors students to the international scientific community and industry. To achieve this, we are working together with a select group of renowned and excellent research institutions and international industry-leading companies to offer you research-related internships:
- ENS Paris-Saclay (France)
- ETH Zürich (Switzerland): Fellowships and Amgen scholars program
- Purdue University (USA): GoBoiler Internship Program 2020 / Application deadline: April 1, notification: May 1
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (USA): UIUC-TU Wien Research Internship Program 2020 / Application deadline March 15, notification: May 15 / Contact Ulrich Schmid for the password of the application site.
Application and Accreditation
- Choose an internship from the list above, check details and feasibility with the respective contact person (with or without involving the mentor here), and finally apply.
- If successful, please inform your mentor about your internship project. You need to provide the names of the institution and your external supervisor, and a short project description.
- After finishing the internship project, you need to deliver a final project report (also signed by the supervisor) to your mentor. In addition, external supervisors need to provide the mentor with a short performance report, which shall also include a proposed grade.
- The accreditation for PR "Bachelor with Honors Internship-Projekte" (6 ECTS) will be issued by the Dean of Academic Affairs upon request of the mentor (who needs to submit the final grade and a short justification, along with the final project report and the performance report).
Research and Industry Scholarships
As a Bachelor with Honors student you can apply for special scholarships, according to the following conditions and application requirements:
Some research funding organizations allow their project leaders to support Bachelor with Honors students if they contribute to their research project e.g., in the context of a practical or Bachelor thesis. Note that this can also be done in an internship project with a foreign research collaborator, subject to the general conditions for Bachelor with Honors internship projects.
- TU Wien Informatics offers scholarships for Bachelor with Honors students going abroad for an internship project. / Contact: Ulrich Schmid
Since the Bachelor with Honors program aims at nurturing excellence, and offers a high-level, demanding environment for ambitious undergraduates, successful applicants must meet objective, performance-based criteria:
- Successful completion of at least 72 ECTS of regular mandatory courses within the framework of your Bachelor’s program at the time of application
- A weighted grade point average ≤ 2.0 (Austrian grades range: 1 [excellent] to 5 [insufficient]), with a realistic chance to meet the (stricter) completion criteria
A coherent Bachelor with Honors program proposal + justification--agreed with your mentor--covering courses from Bachelor’s and Master’s programs worth 45 to 60 ECTS (in addition to the 180 ECTS of your regular Bachelor’s program).
- Summer term: January 31 (valuation date performance criteria: February 15, decision date: March 1)
- Winter term: September 1 (valuation date performance criteria: September 15, decision date: October 1)
- An eligible mentor (a professor of the faculty)
- Completion of your regular Bachelor program with distinction
- A weighted grade point average ≤ 1.5 (regular Bachelor’s and Bachelor with Honors program)
- Total duration of studies ≤ 9 terms