TU Wien is Austria’s largest institution of research and higher education in the fields of technology and natural sciences. With over 26,000 students and more than 4000 scientists, research, teaching and learning dedicated to the advancement of science and technology have been conducted here for more than 200 years, guided by the motto “Technology for People”. As a driver of innovation, TU Wien fosters close collaboration with business and industry and contributes to the prosperity of society.
At the Institute of Computer Engineering of the Faculty of Informatics at TU Wien, the position of a University Professor for the specialist field of “Computer Architecture” with permanent (full-time) contractual employment is to be filled as of March 1, 2023.
This is a professorship regulated by § 98 of the 2002 Universities Act (UG).
The position as professor for Computer Architecture has been allocated in TU Wien’s development plan to the focal area Information & Communication Technology. The Faculty of Informatics, one of the eight faculties at the TU Wien, plays an active role in national and international research and has an excellent reputation. The main areas of research include Computer Engineering, Logic and Computation, Visual Computing & Human-Centered Technology, as well as Information Systems Engineering.
The open position forms the core of an independent research group within the Institute of Computer Engineering in the Faculty of Informatics, with the opportunity to also contribute to our well-established collaboration with the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, in areas such as circuit design, signal processing, automation & robotics, and applied machine learning.
The successful candidate will have an outstanding research and teaching record in Computer Architecture, with particular emphasis on at least one of the following fields (but are not limited to):
- Multi- and many-core architectures
- Massively parallel architectures (e.g. GPU architectures)
- Non-conventional architectures (e.g. neuromorphic computing)
- Energy-efficient architectures, power management, approximate computing
- Reconfigurable architectures
- Memory architectures, in-memory computing
- Inter-core communication
- Safety and security aspects in computer architecture
- Modeling, design and verification of computer architectures
- Domain-specific architectures
Besides research in some of the areas stated above, the duties of a Full Professor at TU Wien include graduate and undergraduate teaching (in German and English) as well as contributing to usual management and faculty service tasks.
- Completed doctoral or PhD studies in the field of Computer Science or a related area from a domestic or equivalent foreign university or research institution
- Qualification for teaching (venia docendi) acquired at a domestic or equivalent foreign university or an academic qualification recognisable as being equivalent to the venia docendi
- Outstanding scientific reputation, proven by publications in internationally prestigious scientific conferences and journals, patents, awards, scientific lectures, editorial and scientific expert work, organization of conferences etc.
- Excellent reputation as an active member of the international scientific community
- Experience in the acquisition, execution and management of research projects
- Ability and willingness to manage a research group
- Pedagogic and didactic suitability for academic teaching in German and English
- Experience in the supervision of scientific work of students, such as bachelor, diploma and master theses as well as dissertations
- Social and gender competence as well as experienced in the promotion of young researchers and the advancement of underrepresented students/colleagues/employees
- On-site presence is expected
- In case there is no adequate knowledge of German, willingness to quickly learn German is presupposed for teaching in bachelor programmes and participating in the management of the institute and the faculty as well as in university bodies
For additional details and to enter the application process, please see the TU Wien Job Platform: