Projektass.(FWF) Dr.phil. Mag.phil.
With a background in Sociology, Social Psychology, and Human-Computer Interaction, I study how humans interact with new technology. For my research on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI) I have been awarded a Hertha Firnberg grant from the FWF Science Fund, a postdoc programme aimed at promoting the university career of young female research scientists. Since 2013, this enables me to integrate my research at the Vision4Robotics group (ACIN ¿ Automation and Control Institute) at the Vienna University of Technology under the mentoring of Prof. Markus Vincze. In 2013 I also had the honour of being selected as one of the ¿25 women you need to know in robotics¿ (http://robohub.org/25-women-in-robotics-you-need-to-know-about/) by the robohub contributor group.
Prior to my postdoc project at the Vienna University of Technology, I was a senior researcher and interdisciplinary team leader for a research group on ¿Adaptive Systems¿ at the ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg (led by Prof. Manfred Tscheligi). From September 2011 until January 2012 I was on a short-term sabbatical to work with Prof. Vanessa Evers at the University of Twente, NL. In 2010, I completed my PhD in Human-Computer Interaction at University of Salzburg and I hold a Master degree in Sociology from University of Salzburg from 2005.
My work is very much inspired by Lucy Suchman¿s ¿Plans and Situated Action¿ and Reeves¿ and Nass¿ ¿Media Equation¿. I study how people interact with new technologies, what makes them accept or reject it, and how their experiences influence the way how they interact in the world. I specifically base my research on theories on human behaviour and empirical studies of human-human interaction. My aim is to transfer this knowledge into novel interaction paradigms and interface designs. In other words, my research focusses on the question: How can we make technology less demanding, make it fade into the background of everyday experiences, and create it to assist us. As a social scientists working together with engineers, computer scientists, interaction designers etc. my goal is to develop technology that is sustainably used by real people.
Exploring Long-Term Human-Robot Interaction
2018 – 2022 / Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
Vision-based Human-Robot Cooperation: Perspective Sharing ¿
2013 – 2016 / Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
- Hobbit, a care robot supporting independent living at home: First prototype and lessons learned / D. Fischinger, P. Einramhof, K. Papoutsakis, W. Wohlkinger, P. Mayer, P. Panek, S. Hofmann, T. Koertner, A. Weiss, A. Argyros, M. Vincze / Robotics and Autonomous Systems, (2016), 75; 60 - 78
- Hobbit, a care robot supporting independent living at home: First prototype and lessons learned / D. Fischinger, P. Einramhof, K. Papoutsakis, W. Wohlkinger, P. Mayer, P. Panek, S. Hofmann, T. Körtner, A. Weiss, A. Argyros, M. Vincze / Robotics and Autonomous Systems, DOI: 10.1016/j.robot.2014.09.029 (2014), DOI: 10.1016/j.robot.2014.09.029
- Don´t Bother Me: Users´ Reactions to Different Robot Disturbing Behaviors / A. Weiss, M. Vincze, P. Panek, P. Mayer / Poster: 9th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI 2014), Bielefeld; 2014-03-03 - 2014-03-06; in: "Proceedings of the 9th ACM/IEEE international conference on Human-Robot Interaction, IEEE Press", (2014)
- Towards a Robot for Supporting Older People to Stay Longer Inde-pendent at Home / M. Vincze, W.L. Zagler, L. Lammer, A. Weiss, A. Huber, D. Fischinger, T. Koertner, A. Schmid, C. Gisinger / Talk: Joint 45th International Symposium on Robotics, München; 2014-06-02 - 2014-06-03; in: "ISR 2014", (2014)
- Hobbit - The Mutual Care Robot / D. Fischinger, P. Einramhof, W. Wohlkinger, K. Papoutsakis, P. Mayer, P. Panek, T. Koertner, S. Hoffmann, A. Argyros, M. Vincze, C. Gisinger, A. Weiss / Talk: 2013 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2013), Tokyo; 2013-11-03 - 2013-11-08; in: "Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2013)", (2013), 6 pages
- SharedSpace / Richter-Programm / Austria / 2018
- Junge Akademie / Mitgliedschaft / Austria / 2017
- Vision4HRC / Firnberg-Programm / Austria / 2013
- enlisted among the 25 women you need to know in robotics / robohub.org / USA / 2013
Soon, this page will include additional information such as reference projects, activities as journal reviewer and editor, memberships in councils and committees, and other research activities.
Until then, please visit Astrid Weiss’ research profile in TISS .