Projektass.(FWF) Dr.phil. Mag.phil.
With a background in Sociology and Human-Computer Interaction, I study how humans interact with new technology. For my research on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI) I have been awarded a Hertha Firnberg and an Elise Richter grant from the FWF Science Fund, a postdoc programme aimed at promoting the university career of young female research scientists. Since 2013, I am a senior researcher at the TU Wien. Currently, I am a member of the Human Computer Interaction Group led by Prof. Gerladine Fizpatrick (Institute of Visual Computing and Human-Centered Technology). In 2013, I also had the honour of being selected as one of the “25 women you need to know in robotics” by the robohub contributor group. In 2017, I was a selected speaker for Tedx TUWien. In 2018, I was elected as member of the Young Academy of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
Prior to my work at the Human Computer Interaction Group, I was working in the Vision4Robotics group (ACIN – Automation and Control Institute) under the mentoring of Prof. Markus Vincze. Until 2012, I was a senior researcher and interdisciplinary team leader for a research group on “Adaptive Systems” at the ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg (led by Prof. Manfred Tscheligi). From September 2011 until January 2012 I was on a short-term sabbatical to work with Prof. Vanessa Evers at the University of Twente, NL. In 2010, I completed my PhD in Human-Computer Interaction at University of Salzburg and I hold a Master degree in Sociology from University of Salzburg from 2005.
As a social scientists working together with engineers, computer scientists, interaction designers etc. my goal is to develop technology that is sustainably used by real people.
- Exploring Disruptive Technologies / 193.086 / LU
- Human Robot Interaction / 193.085 / VU
- User Research Methods / 193.055 / VU
Exploring Long-Term Human-Robot Interaction
2018 – 2022 / Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
Vision-based Human-Robot Cooperation: Perspective Sharing ¿
2013 – 2016 / Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
- Qualities of Trust: Caputuring Aspects beyond System Reliability / I. Schwaninger, A. Weiss, Ch. Frauenberger / Talk: The 28th IEEE International Conference on Robot & Human Interactive Communication, New Delhi; 2019-10-14 - 2019-10-18
- Educational Robotics-Engage Young Students in Project-Based Learning / G. Jäggle, M. Vincze, A. Weiss, G. Koppensteiner, W. Lepuschitz, S. Zakall, M. Merdan / in: "The Challenges of the Digital Transformation in Education", Springer, 2019, ISBN: 978-3-030-11935-5, 360 - 371
- Ethics and trust: Principles, verification and validation (dagstuhl seminar 19171) / M. Fischer, C. List, M. Slavkovik, A. Weiss / Dagstuhl Reports, 9 (2019), 4
- "You Are Doing so Great!" - The Effect of a Robot´s Interaction Style on Self-Efficacy in HRI / S. Zafari, I. Schwaninger, M. Hirschmanner, C. Schmidbauer, A. Weiss, S. Koeszegi / Talk: 28th IEEE International Conference on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, New Delhi, India; 2019-10-14 - 2019-10-18; in: "Proceeding of Robot and Human Communication", IEEE, (2019), 7 pages
- Exploring Trust in Human-Agent Collaboration / I. Schwaninger, G. Fitzpatrick, A. Weiss / Talk: The 17th European Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work, Salzburg; 2019-06-08 - 2019-06-12; in: "Proceedings of 17th European Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work", European Society for Socially Embedded Technologies (EUSSET), Proceedings of 17th European Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (2019), ISSN: 2510-2591
- Hobbit, a care robot supporting independent living at home: First prototype and lessons learned / D. Fischinger, P. Einramhof, K. Papoutsakis, W. Wohlkinger, P. Mayer, P. Panek, S. Hofmann, T. Koertner, A. Weiss, A. Argyros, M. Vincze / Robotics and Autonomous Systems, (2016), 75; 60 - 78
- Hobbit, a care robot supporting independent living at home: First prototype and lessons learned / D. Fischinger, P. Einramhof, K. Papoutsakis, W. Wohlkinger, P. Mayer, P. Panek, S. Hofmann, T. Körtner, A. Weiss, A. Argyros, M. Vincze / Robotics and Autonomous Systems, DOI: 10.1016/j.robot.2014.09.029 (2014), DOI: 10.1016/j.robot.2014.09.029
- Don´t Bother Me: Users´ Reactions to Different Robot Disturbing Behaviors / A. Weiss, M. Vincze, P. Panek, P. Mayer / Poster: 9th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI 2014), Bielefeld; 2014-03-03 - 2014-03-06; in: "Proceedings of the 9th ACM/IEEE international conference on Human-Robot Interaction, IEEE Press", (2014)
- Towards a Robot for Supporting Older People to Stay Longer Inde-pendent at Home / M. Vincze, W.L. Zagler, L. Lammer, A. Weiss, A. Huber, D. Fischinger, T. Koertner, A. Schmid, C. Gisinger / Talk: Joint 45th International Symposium on Robotics, München; 2014-06-02 - 2014-06-03; in: "ISR 2014", (2014)
- Hobbit - The Mutual Care Robot / D. Fischinger, P. Einramhof, W. Wohlkinger, K. Papoutsakis, P. Mayer, P. Panek, T. Koertner, S. Hoffmann, A. Argyros, M. Vincze, C. Gisinger, A. Weiss / Talk: 2013 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2013), Tokyo; 2013-11-03 - 2013-11-08; in: "Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2013)", (2013), 6 pages
2018 / Richter-Programm / Austria
2017 / Mitgliedschaft / Austria
2013 / Firnberg-Programm / Austria
enlisted among the 25 women you need to know in robotics
2013 / robohub.org / USA
Soon, this page will include additional information such as reference projects, activities as journal reviewer and editor, memberships in councils and committees, and other research activities.
Until then, please visit Astrid Weiss’ research profile in TISS .