Finding an exciting thesis topic is crucial — after all, you will spend years of your life researching it. Typically a supervisor offers topics that fit into a larger research context within their group, like long-term vision, projects, or Doctoral Colleges. Your benefit in choosing one of these topics is that some may come with funding, and you can build on existing experience and infrastructure within an established research group.
Topics in TISS
Open topics are usually announced via TISS. To see all available doctoral thesis topics, please configure the TISS search form as follows (we unfortunately can’t provide a direct link):
- Visit tiss.tuwien.ac.at/thesis/theses.xhtml.
- Click the “Extended Search” button
- Set thesis type to “Dissertation”
- Set faculty to “Faculty of Informatics”
- Low Latency Machine Learning including 5G and Edge / Supervisor: Ivona Brandic
- ProbInG Project + DC SecInt / Supervisor: Ezio Bartocci
- Information Visualization and Visual Analytics / Supervisor: Silvia Miksch
You are a member of TU Wien Informatics, but prefer to not announce your topics in TISS? Simply send us an email with title, expiration date, supervisor name, and URL of additional information and we’ll add them here.
Note: Due to the rollout of TU Wien’s new publication database, the list below may be slightly outdated. Once APIs for the new database have been released, everything will be up to date again.
We are proud of every single candidate who graduates with us!
Here is a list of some of our most recent doctoral theses:
- Automated Scheduling for Automotive Supplier Paint Shops and Teeth Manufacturing / Doctoral Thesis by F. Winter / Supervisor, Reviewer: N. Musliu, A. Schaerf, G. Tack; Institute of Logic and Computation, 2021; oral examination: 2021-12-16
- Digital Twinning for Industrial Energy Systems Utilizing Semantic Web Technologies / Doctoral Thesis by G. Steindl / Supervisor, Reviewer: W. Kastner, A. Fay, M. Wollschlaeger; Computer Engineering, 2021; oral examination: 2021-10-29
- Restoration of Multispectral Images of Ancient Documents / Doctoral Thesis by F. Hollaus / Supervisor, Reviewer: R. Sablatnig, A. Maier, I. Pratikakis; Institute of Visual Computing & Human-Centered Technology, 2021; oral examination: 2021-10-21
- Visual Analysis of Defects / Doctoral Thesis by A. Amirkhanov / Supervisor, Reviewer: E. Gröller, G. Mistelbauer, Ch. Heinzl; Visual Computing and Human-Centered Technology, 2021; oral examination: 2021-10-18
- Quality of Service aware Resource Management for Edge Systems / Doctoral Thesis by C. Avasalcai / Supervisor, Reviewer: S. Dustdar, F. Leymann, G. Pallis; Institute of Information Systems Engineering, Distributed Systems Group, 2021; oral examination: 2021-09-24
- Advances in Search Techniques for Combinatorial Optimization: New Anytime A* Search and Decision Diagram Based Approaches / Doctoral Thesis by M. Horn / Supervisor, Reviewer: G. Raidl, C. Blum, L. Di Gaspero; Institute of Logic and Computation, 2021; oral examination: 2021-09-09
- Advanced Tools and Methods for Treewidth-Based Problem Solving / Doctoral Thesis by M. Hecher / Supervisor, Reviewer: S. Woltran, T. Schaub; 192-02, 2021; oral examination: 2021-07-29
- Refining Labelled Systems for Modal and Constructive Logics with Applications / Doctoral Thesis by T. Lyon / Supervisor, Reviewer: A. Ciabattoni, R. Ramanayake; Logic and Computation, 2021; oral examination: 2021-07-29
- Foundations for the Security Analysis of Distributed Blockchain Applications / Doctoral Thesis by C. Schneidewind / Supervisor, Reviewer: M. Maffei, A. Gervais, B. Scholz; Institut of Logic and Computation, Security and Privacy, 2021; oral examination: 2021-05-28
- A Distributed Compute Fabric for Edge Intelligence / Doctoral Thesis by T. Rausch / Supervisor, Reviewer: S. Dustdar, W. Shi, M. Zhao; Institute of Information Systems Engineering, Distributed Systems Group, 2021; oral examination: 2021-05-21
The TU Wien Publication Database has the full list of all our completed doctoral theses.