Projektass.(FWF) Dott.mag. / PhD
- Cloud Computing, Edge Data Analytics, Edge Computing, Resource Allocation, Intercloud, Distributed Systems, Fault Tolerance
Dr. Atakan Aral is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Institute of Information Systems Engineering, Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien). Before joining TU Wien in October 2016, he was a Research Assistant at the Faculty of Computer and Informatics Engineering, Istanbul Technical University (ITU) for five years. Dr. Aral received a dual MSc degree in Computer Science and Engineering from Politecnico di Milano (2011) and ITU (2012), and a PhD degree in Computer Engineering from ITU (2016). He participated in several research projects funded by organizations such as the European Research Council (ERC), Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), and Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
Dr. Aral served on the Organizing Committee of IFIP/IEEE NOMS 2016 and as a TPC member in several leading conferences in his area including IEEE SERVICES and IFIP/IEEE IM. He was awarded six scholarships from institutions including Italian and Turkish governments for his academic success and is a co-author of the Best Student Paper at CLOSER 2018 as well as a Best Paper Candidate at ICFC 2019. His research interests center around resource management for distributed and virtualized computing architectures, failure resilience techniques for unreliable Edge resources, and distributed/federated machine learning systems that exploit Edge computing.
Runtime Control on Multi Clouds
2016 – 2022 / Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
- A Decentralized Replica Placement Algorithm for Edge Computing / A. Aral, T. Ovatman / IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, 15 (2018), 2; 516 - 529
- Scheduling Latency-Sensitive Applications in Edge Computing / V. Scoca, A. Aral, I. Brandic, R. de Nicola, R. B. Uriarte / in: "Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Cloud Computing and Services Science", SciTePress, 2018, ISBN: 978-989-758-295-0, 158 - 168
- Consistency of the Fittest: Towards Dynamic Staleness Control for Edge Data Analytics / A. Aral, I. Brandic / Talk: Second International Workshop on Autonomic Solutions for Parallel and Distributed Data Stream Processing (Auto-DaSP 2018), Colocated with the 24rd International European Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing (Euro-Par 2018), Turin, Italy; 2018-08-27 - 2018-08-31; in: "Euro-Par 2018: Parallel Processing Workshops. Euro-Par 2018.", G. Mencagli et al. (ed.); Springer, LNCS volume 11339 (2018), ISBN: 978-3-030-10548-8; 40 - 52
- Dependency Mining for Service Resilience at the Edge / A. Aral, I. Brandic / Talk: SEC 2018 Third ACM/IEEE Symposium on Edge Computing, Bellevue, Washington, USA; 2018-10-25 - 2018-10-27; in: "2018 IEEE/ACM Symposium on Edge Computing (SEC)", IEEE, (2018), ISBN: 978-1-5386-9445-9; 228 - 242
- Quality of Service Channelling for Latency Sensitive Edge Applications / A. Aral, I. Brandic / in: "Proceedings 2017 IEEE 1st International Conference on Edge Computing", IEEE, 2017, ISBN: 978-1-5386-2017-5, 166 - 173
- Fuzzy Handoff Control in Edge Offloading / Best Paper Candidate / Czech Republic / 2019
- Scheduling Latency-Sensitive Applications in Edge Computing / Best Student Paper / Portugal / 2018
- A Decentralized Replica Placement Algorithm for Edge Computing / Incentive Program for International Scientific Publications / Turkey / 2018
- Network-aware embedding of virtual machine clusters onto federated cloud infrastructure / Incentive Program for International Scientific Publications / Turkey / 2016
- Modeling and Optimization of Resource Allocation in Distributed Clouds / Travel Grant / Germany / 2016
- Modeling and Optimization of Resource Allocation in Cloud Systems / Doctoral Incentive Award / Scientific Research Projects / Turkey / 2014
- Resource Mapping Optimization For Distributed Cloud Services / Graduate Scholarship / Turkey / 2012
- N/A / Leaders of Technology Graduate Scholarship / Turkey / 2012
- N/A / Diritto allo Studio Universitario / Italy / 2010
- N/A / Double Degree MSc Student / France / 2009
- N/A / Premiership Scholarship / Turkey / 2005
- N/A / ARI Highest Success Awards / Turkey / 2005
Soon, this page will include additional information such as reference projects, activities as journal reviewer and editor, memberships in councils and committees, and other research activities.
Until then, please visit Atakan Aral’s research profile in TISS .