At the Institute of Computer Engineering at TU Wien, the position of a University Professor for the specialist field of “Computer Architecture” with permanent (full-time) contractual employment is to be filled as of July 1, 2022. This is a professorship regulated by §98 of the 2002 Universities Act (UG).
About the Position
The position as professor for Computer Architecture has been allocated in TU Wien’s development plan to the focal area Information & Communication Technology. The Faculty of Informatics, one of the eight faculties at the TU Wien, plays an active role in national and international research and has an excellent reputation. The main areas of research are Computer Engineering, Logic and Computation, Visual Computing & Human-Centered Technology, and Information Systems Engineering.
The successful candidate will have an outstanding research and teaching record in Computer Architecture, with particular emphasis on at least one of the following fields (but not limited to):
- Multi- and many-core architectures
- Massively parallel architectures (e.g. GPU architectures)
- Non-conventional architectures (e.g. neuromorphic computing)
- Energy-efficient architectures, power management
- Reconfigurable architectures
- Memory architectures, in-memory computing
- Inter-core communication
- Safety and security aspects in computer architecture
- Modeling, design and verification of computer architectures
- Domain-specific architectures
Besides research, the duties of a full Professor at TU Wien include graduate and undergraduate teaching (in German and English) as well as contributing to usual management and faculty service tasks.
- Completed doctoral or PhD studies in the field of Computer Science or a related area from a domestic or equivalent foreign university or research institution
- Qualification for teaching (venia docendi) acquired at a domestic or equivalent foreign university or an academic qualification recognisable as being equivalent to the venia docendi
- Outstanding scientific reputation, proven by publications in internationally prestigious scientific conferences and journals, patents, awards, scientific lectures, editorial and scientific expert work, organization of conferences etc.
- Excellent reputation as an active member of the international scientific community
- Experience in the acquisition, execution and management of research projects
- Ability and willingness to manage a research group
- Pedagogic and didactic suitability for academic teaching in German and English
- Experience in the supervision of scientific work of students, such as bachelor, diploma and master theses as well as dissertations
- Social and gender competence as well as experience in the promotion of young researchers and the advancement of female students/colleagues/employees
- On-site presence is expected
- In case there is no adequate knowledge of German, willingness to quickly learn German is presupposed for teaching in bachelor programmes and participating in the management of the institute and the faculty as well as in university bodies
Salary and Benefits
Classification in the A1 category of the collective bargaining agreement for employees of universities and a full-time minimum salary of EUR 74.503,80 gross annual is provided for. In addition, a company pension scheme (pension fund and employee benefit fund) will be set up, so that personnel benefits will increase by a total of 11.53%. A higher salary depending on qualifications and experience is categorically a subject of appointment negotiations.
- Excellent working conditions in an attractive research environment
- Attractive compensation combined with a supplemental retirement benefit program sponsored by the employer and further benefits (see also: Fringe-Benefit Catalogue of TU Wien)
- Financial support of research activities in the first years (e.g. equipment endowment/start-up funds)
- Support in moving to Vienna (if required)
- Dual career advice (if required): we offer partners and families of the university professors appointed to TU Wien various support opportunities tailored to their individual situation
- An employee-friendly environment in a city with an extraordinary high quality of life
How to apply
Submit your application online at TU Wien’s job platform, including the following information:
- Detailed curriculum vitae (complete with professional and academic background)
- Detailed motivation letter
- Presentation of previous academic activities including a list of research and development projects carried out and of funding/grants raised (volume, duration, funding body, etc.), a list of patents, awards, editorial and scientific expert work, organized conferences etc., as well as a list of lecturing and teaching activities evidenced by a list of the university courses held so far, a list of supervised scientific works of students (such as bachelor theses, master theses as well as doctoral theses), and a list of invited lectures
- List of publications and copies of the five most important publications related to the position together with an explanation of their relevance
- Research and teaching concept with considerations on the future positioning and further development of the field of Computer Architecture
- Relevant certificates and official letters should be uploaded under the category: +Add more documents
- We kindly ask you to download the data sheet “Computer Architecture” and upload it filled in under the category: +Add more documents
TU Wien is committed to increasing the proportion of women in particular in leadership positions. Female applicants are explicitly encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to women when equally qualified, unless reasons specific to a male applicant tilt the balance in his favour. People with special needs are equally encouraged to apply. In case of any questions, please contact the confidant for disabled persons at the university, Gerhard Neustätter.
We’re here to help
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!
For information on the application process:
For information related to the position:
For information on appointment services:
PDF / 595 KB / 2021-PCA.pdf